Proper nutrition is one of the keys to good health. As your nutrition experts,
we offer medical nutrition therapy to help patients manage their medical
conditions as well as develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Clara Maass Medical Center's Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs)
provide expert nutrition counseling on an outpatient basis. Using an evidence-based
approach, RDNs conduct private or group sessions to develop a personalized
nutrition plan designed to meet a patient's unique needs. Whether
it's learning how to live healthy with diabetes, optimizing prenatal
care, or lowering cholesterol, our highly skilled RDNs have your best
interest in mind.
We work closely with patients to identify their nutrition problems, assess
their nutritional needs, provide education, develop structured meal plans,
advise on portion sizes, appropriate vitamins and mineral intake, protein
supplements and consumption, and address other individual needs.
Registered Dietition Nutritionists (RDNs) are food and nutrition experts
with extensive training and experience in the field of Nutritional Sciences.
RDNs can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for
Nutrition counseling is offered to adults and children for various medical
conditions, and includes weight loss, maintaining and healthy weight,
controlling blood sugar and more.
Our areas of specialty include:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Congestive Heart Failure/Heart Disease
- Gestational Diabetes
- High Cholesterol
- Digestive Disorders
- Kidney and Liver Disorders
- Bariatrics/Weight Loss Surgery
During your visit with an RDN, we will review:
- Your medical and surgical history, including any lab test results
- Current medical problems
- Eating and exercise habits and patterns
- A list of current medications and nutritional supplements, including herbal
- Food preferences, allergies and aversions
We work with our patients to identify realistic, achievable goals and develop
personalized nutrition plans to help them lead healthier lifestyles. We
are committed to guiding patients to make the best decisions for their health.
Day and evening appointments are available to accommodate your personal schedule.
To schedule an appointment, please call a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist at
All patients are required to register through the Patient Access Services
prior to their appointment.
Prescriptions and/or referrals are required.
Authorizations may also be required depending on your insurance plan.
RDNs are required to meet the following criteria to earn the RDN credential:
- Completed a minimum of a bachelor's degree at a U.S. regionally accredited
university of college and course work accredited or approved by the Accreditation
Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy
of Nutrition and Dietetics. Many RDNs also hold an advanced level Master's or Ph.D.
- Completed an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program. Typically, a
practice program will run six to 12 months in length and includes 1200+
hours of practice in the field.
- Passed a national examination administered by the Commission of Dietetic
- Completed continuing professional educational requirements (at least 75
per cycle) to maintain registration.