The Joint & Spine Institute
Welcome to the The Joint and Spine Institute at Clara Maass Medical Center
Thank you for choosing The Joint and Spine Institute at Clara Maass Medical
Center, to help restore you to a higher quality of living with your new
Annually, over 700,000 people undergo total joint replacement surgery.
Primary candidates are individuals with chronic joint pain from arthritis
that interferes with daily activities, walking, exercise, leisure, recreation,
and work. The surgery aims to relieve pain, restore your independence,
and return you to work and other daily activities.
Total hip replacement and total knee replacement patients typically recover
quickly. Patients will walk and will be in exercise classes beginning
the day after surgery. Generally, patients are able to return to driving
in 2-4 weeks, dancing in 4-6 weeks and golf in 6-12 weeks.
Clara Maass Medical Center has implemented a comprehensive planned course
of treatment. We believe that you play a key role in promoting a successful
recovery. Our goal is to involve you in your treatment through each step
of the program.
Our center is unique as it has a dedicated area within the hospital. Surgeries
are scheduled Monday through Friday and patients typically return home
after a three-night stay.
Features of the Program include:
- Nurses, therapists and nursing assistants who specialize in the care of
- Private and semi-private rooms
- Emphasis on group activities as well as individual care
- Family and friends educated to participate as “coaches” in
the recovery process
- Group lunches with your coach and others in the program
- Your joint team who coordinates all pre-operative care and discharge planning
- A comprehensive patient guide for you to follow from six weeks pre-op until
three months post-op and beyond
- Coordinated after-care program
- Reunion luncheons for former patients and coaches
- Newsletters to update you with new information about arthritis and joint care
- Public education seminars about hip and knee pain