The Transitional Care Unit may be the next appropriate step in your care…
Our staff helps patients transition to home so they may live independently or with some assistance.
While in our care we strive to:
- Maximize functioning and independence
- Provide patient and family education
- Assess and facilitate discharge needs
- Identify community resources that can help
- Make referrals to outpatient services
Transitional Care Unit Eases Return to Home
The Transitional Care Unit (TCU) at Community Medical Center offers a special caring environment for patients who no longer require all the resources of an acute care hospital, but who are still too sick to be cared for at home.
The TCU provides a sub-acute level of care within the acute care hospital, an option in the continuum of care. Typically patients are admitted to the TCU for the following types of care: cardiac recovery, post surgical recovery, oncology and pain management, pulmonary management, skin and wound care, and complex medical
management. A few extra days for recovery in the TCU can give patients just the time they need to regain strength and function needed to successfully be discharged home. Patients may stay in the TCU for up to eight days of care.
Community Medical Center strives to meet the growing needs of the greater Toms River area by offering diversified services. The TCU was opened to assist patients who have a continued need for health care management but have passed their acute illness. An
interdisciplinary team approach is followed with the physician, nurse, social worker, rehabilitation therapists, dietician, and resident’s family participating. The expected length of stay is less than eight days, with a discharge goal for the patient to return to home.
About the Transitional Care Unit
The TCU at Community Medical Center is a 17-bed unit located on the third floor of the Medical Center offering private and semi-private rooms. The unit offers physical therapy, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy and speech therapy, along with all the other services of the hospital including:
- Diagnostic radiology
- Pastoral Care
- Social Work
- Pet Therapy
- Dietary Counseling
- Diabetes Education
- Ostomy Education
- Wound Care
- Congestive Heart Failure Program
Admission to the Transitional Care Unit
Candidates for the TCU must meet established criteria. Physicians from Community Medical Center may admit directly to the TCU and are then able to visit their patients daily on the premises. If you have questions about whether admission to the TCU is appropriate for you or a family member, please discuss further with your primary
- Patients must have had a three day length of stay in an acute care hospital within 30 days prior to admission.
- The length of stay on the TCU is estimated to be eight days or less.
- There is a discharge plan in place.
- No intensive diagnostic or invasive procedures or results are pending.
- Patient is not currently a resident of a long term care facility (unless it is documented that no bed is available in that particular facility).
- An acceptable admitting diagnosis is documented in the medical record.
For further information, please call:
Juquel Kinchen, RN
Director of Patient Care
Transitional Care Unit
The Transitional Care Unit accepts Medicare, HMO and private insurance.
For a copy of the brochure in pdf, click here.
[ top ]