Prenatal Genetic Counseling
Recognizing that parents-to-be have many concerns that may keep them up
at night, including their baby’s health, Monmouth Medical Center,
Southern Campus has introduced a new on-site Genetic Counseling Program
to offer peace of mind and answers.
The genetic program is led by Tressie Dalaya, MSc. MS, a licensed and certified
genetic counselor at Monmouth Medical Center. Tressie is offering this
same level of perinatal care to families in Ocean County. She works closely
with families to help them understand the complex issues surrounding genetics
and support their emotional needs as well. Tressie consults with patients
and provides them with an in-depth analysis of their medical history to
assess the risk of passing any genetic disorders to their children. She
then recommends the next course of action such as additional screenings
or tests based on the results.
Prenatal and pre-conception genetic counseling services include:
- Abnormal prenatal screening, including integrated screen, Harmony, AFP.
- Advanced maternal age (35 or older at time of delivery).
- Ethnicity-based carrier testing.
- Exposures during pregnancy, including medications, alcohol or radiation.
- Family history of an inherited condition such as cystic fibrosis, hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy, or muscular dystrophy.
- Parental anxiety.
- Pregnant woman who wants to learn more about prenatal screening and diagnostic
testing options or their results.
- Stillbirth or recurrent pregnancy loss.
- Strong family history or conditions such as cancer and heart disease with
questions about genetic testing.
Whether a patient is referred by a physician or wishes to seek genetic
counseling on her own, the team of genetic counselors is equipped with
the tools and expertise to choose the most appropriate genetic test, testing
laboratory and technology for the patient’s specific medical concerns.
For more information or to set up a genetic counseling appointment at Monmouth
Medical Center, Southern Campus, call Tressie at
732.923.6526. Tressie is also available to offer guidance to physicians and other health
care professionals regarding whether a genetic counseling referral is