Our Thoracic Oncology Team
Taking a Coordinated Approach to Care
Highly skilled specialists representing many medical disciplines and all certified in their fields are member of the thoracic oncology’s multidisciplinary team.
- Thoracic surgeons, specializing in lung tumor surgery
- Pulmonologists, specializing in the diagnosis of lung cancer
- Radiologists, specializing in the X-ray diagnosis of lung cancer
- Radiation oncologists, specializing in radiation therapy to treat lung cancer
- Medical oncologists, specializing in the treatment of lung cancer through the use of chemotherapy
- Pathologists, specializing in the evaluation of lung tissue
The team also includes:
» Pain management specialists
» Registered nurses
» Clinical social workers
» Respiratory therapists
» Physical and occupational therapists
» Nutritional counselors
Since all team members are involved in the development of individualized treatment plans for each patient, they are brought together regularly to review cases individually and confidentially.
Once a treatment plan is developed — a process that is accomplished in a timely manner after the patient's initial visit — it is thoroughly explained and discussed not only with the patient, but with family members and referring physicians.
Because patients and their families may experience emotional difficulties during this time, psychosocial support plays a major role in every treatment plan. Our clinical social workers provide counseling and support, as well as refer patients to community resources that can offer assistance.
In addition, there are a number of support groups that give patients and their families the opportunity to share their experiences and talk about the issues that confront them.