Hospital History and Accomplishments

Established as a 21-bed hospital, The Beth was founded by the Daughters of Israel. In 1902, The Beth's School of Nursing was founded, followed by the first Pediatric Unit (among the first in the nation) in 1903. Five years later, The Beth celebrated their new 84 bed brick hospital. Nine years after its founding, The Beth contributed to lowering the mortality rate in Newark to the lowest in decades.

We are the only hospital in the state to perform the entire spectrum of heart-related procedures for children and adults, and one of the top five heart transplant programs in the U.S. We have the only state-certified lung transplant program in New Jersey for the treatment of severe, non-malignant pulmonary disease. The Beth is home to Children's Hospital of New Jersey, with more than 30 pediatric specialties and sub-specialties and one of the nation's largest Neonatal Intensive Care Units for the care of the most fragile newborns. We also have a 19-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (the largest in the state), a surgical robotic training center, (providing the most comprehensive robotic surgery program in the U.S.), the Frederic B. Cohen Comprehensive Cancer and Blood Disorders Center and the Center for Geriatric Health Care.

[ top ]