Now that the holiday season is upon us, we may be welcoming more guests into our homes. Just as you would shovel your walkway to help prevent visitors from slipping after a snow storm, it's important to take precautions when it comes to the storage of medications in your home.
To help avoid accidental injury or the possibility of abuse, pharmacists at Barnabas Health Retail Pharmacies offer these suggestions for ensuring prescription and over-the-counter medications are stored properly and safely.
- Store medications in a cool, dry place – not in the bathroom, which can often be warm and humid.
- Always keep medications out of the reach of children and pets.
- Avoid taking medicine in front of children – they may sometimes mimic adults.
- Consider locking medications, such as narcotics, in a drawer or cabinet.
- It may be helpful to take your pills over a counter or table. If anything accidentally drops, it will be easier to find than if it lands on the floor where it can be picked up by a pet or child.
- Keep all medications in their original containers. In addition to helping to avoid confusion, the amber colored-bottled helps protect pills from the light.
- Don't leave medications out, even those you take every day.
- If there is every any doubt that an adult or child has taken the wrong medication or something that wasn't prescribed to him/her, contact Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.
For more information about proper drug storage, consider talking to your local pharmacist. Pharmacists at Barnabas Health Retail Pharmacies at Barnabas Health Ambulatory Care Center, Livingston; Clara Maass Medical Center, Belleville; Jersey City Medical Center, Jersey City; Monmouth Medical Center, Long Branch; and Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, Newark are also available to answer any questions you may have. To speak to a pharmacist at any of these locations, call:
- Barnabas Health Retail Pharmacy at Barnabas Health Ambulatory Care Center: 973-322-7315
- Barnabas Health Retail Pharmacy at Clara Maass Medical Center: 973-450-2581
- Barnabas Health Retail Pharmacy at Jersey City Medical Center: 201-915-2166
- Barnabas Health Retail Pharmacy at Monmouth Medical Center: 732-923-6111
- Barnabas Health Retail Pharmacy at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center: 973-926-7422
- Barnabas Health Retail Pharmacy at Saint Barnabas Medical Center: 973-322-2445