Saint Barnabas Medical Center was named a Most Wired Hospital by the American
Hospital Association’s Health Forum. HealthCare’s Most Wired®
survey, conducted earlier this year, is published annually by Hospitals
& Health Networks (H&HN). The 2017 Most Wired® survey and
benchmarking study is a leading industry barometer measuring information
technology (IT) use and adoption among hospitals nationwide.
The survey examines how organizations are leveraging IT to improve performance
for value-based health care in the areas of infrastructure, business and
administrative management; quality and safety; and clinical integration.
Saint Barnabas Medical Center is one of 11 RWJBarnabas Health facilities
to achieve this distinction. Hospitals are transforming care delivery
with knowledge gained from data and analytics to support new care delivery
methods and decision making to improve quality, provide access and control
costs. We are optimizing clinical workflows so that our clinicians receive
timely alerts and are able to quickly respond to patient needs.
Some examples of IT advancements at Saint Barnabas Medical Center and RWJBarnabas
- Further expansion of Clinical Decision Support for quality and patient
safety including automated early warning systems for Sepsis, resulting
in a reduction in Sepsis mortality in our health system.
- Improved adoption of clinical communication platforms with enhanced security,
including secure text messaging and a more robust health information exchange.
- Use of analytics gaining more capability to assist in promoting value-based care.
- Expanded use of Remote patient monitoring kits, enabling contact and monitoring
of patients after discharge from the convenience and comfort of home.
- Addition of the ability for RWJBarnabas Health Connect users to schedule
appointments from mobile app.
- Significantly upgraded security to protect patient privacy. Being named
a Most Wired hospital benefits SBMC patients, physicians and staff and
is possible because of everyone’s dedication to provide high quality,
safe patient care.