1900 to 1955

Burgeoning Growth, A Momentous Decision

1912

Saint Barnabas Message Spreads the Word

Saint Barnabas begins publication of The Message, a quarterly report providing information about hospital services, health education and gift acknowledgements.It becomes one of the oldest continuous hospital publications in the United States, evolving in 1999 to Saint Barnabas Family Health, The Magazine of Saint Barnabas Medical Center.

1917

Maternity Pavilion is Created

To accommodate the needs of growing families, Saint Barnabas opens a new addition at the High Street site to house its first dedicated Maternity Pavilion. This begins more than 70 years of state-of-the-art obstetrical care to tens of thousands of mothers and infants.

1917 - Ruth Edge begins remarkable service as a volunteer

Newark’s Ruth Edge Begins Remarkable Service

12-year-old Ruth Edge, a Newark-born resident, becomes a Saint Barnabas volunteer. This launches a noteworthy career of 82 years of continuous dedicated service to the hospital.


1932

Hospital Merges and Establishes Nonsectarian Status

The Hospital of Saint Barnabas and the Hospital for Women and Children, located on Center Street, join together to form The Hospital of Saint Barnabas for Women and Children on the High Street site. The Reverend John G. Martin, superintendent of Saint Barnabas Hospital, becomes superintendent of the newly consolidated nonsectarian hospital.

1937

Renovations Modernize Saint Barnabas

1937 - Saint Barnabas Hospital, Newark

1937 - Open Door Gift Shop, Saint Barnabas Hospital

Ralph Lum chairs a $500,000 fundraising campaign that results in a new cancer clinic, advanced pathology laboratories, and modern fire protection devices, as well as air conditioning in the operating rooms, delivery rooms and nurseries.


1940

Saint Barnabas Celebrates 75 Years

A gala 75th Anniversary Dinner takes place at the Essex House, honoring Edward J. Ill, M.D., for 58 years of distinguished service. Morris P. Skinner serves as Anniversary Chairman.

1947

First National Accreditation Received for Surgical Residencies

Saint Barnabas becomes accredited for Residencies in Plastic Surgery and General Surgery. Lyndon A. Peer, M.D., founder of the Plastic Surgery Residency, establishes Saint Barnabas as a leader in the repair of congenital craniofacial impairments. In 1951, through Dr. Peer’s efforts, and with the help of a grant from the John A. Hartford Foundation, Saint Barnabas establishes the Center for Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip Cases. This will become the renowned Saint Barnabas Regional Craniofacial Center.

1950

Planning Initiated for a Critical Move

Saint Barnabas begins a decade-long period of deliberations. Discussions are held with several Essex County hospitals regarding possible mergers. A special committee is formed to consider possible new locations for the Hospital, including sites outside of Newark.

New Faces Lead the Way

George Schicks, Ph.D., becomes Hospital administrator, announcing possible plans for a new Saint Barnabas Hospital to be constructed in the western region of Essex County. Richard Gulick, chairman of the Saint Barnabas Board of Trustees, leads intensive reflection over site selection.

1954

Need Increases for a Suburban-Based Hospital

The mayors of several west Essex County communities meet with the Board of Trustees and invite Saint Barnabas to consider relocating outside of Newark, citing the necessity for a hospital in the suburbs to accommodate the growing population shift.

Back to History Main page

[ top ]