Types of Cancer
Throughout New Jersey, RWJBarnabas Health Cancer Centers’ multidisciplinary
teams are highly specialized, led by experts who treat specific forms
of cancer - using the most effective therapies and technologies. As an
RWJBarnabas Health Cancer Center patient, you will receive compassionate
care from New Jersey’s most experienced team of cancer specialists
- a team committed to you, with specialized expertise and vast experience
treating various types of cancer.
What is cancer?
The body is made up of various kinds of cells, which normally divide in
an orderly way to produce more cells only when they are needed. Cancer
is a group of diseases - more than 100 types - that occur when cells become
abnormal and divide without control or order.
What is a tumor?
When cells divide when new cells are not needed, too much tissue is formed.
This mass of extra tissue, called a tumor, can be benign or malignant.
- Are not cancer
- Can usually be removed
- Are rarely a threat to life
- Do not come back in most cases
- Do not spread to other parts of the body and the cells do not invade other tissues
- Are cancer
- May be a threat to life
- Can invade and damage nearby tissues and organs
- Metastasize - cancer cells can break away from a malignant tumor and enter
the bloodstream or lymphatic system to form secondary tumors in other
parts of the body
To learn more about our cancer specialists for your needs visit our