Pulmonary Special Care
Advanced lung disease presents physicians and allied health care professionals with unique challenges. Whether the diagnosis is COPD, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Cystic Fibrosis, Pulmonary Hypertension or any other lung disease causing reduced pulmonary efficiency, patients have complex care requirements. The Pulmonary Special Care Program, offered by the Barnabas Health Hospice and Palliative Care Center, provides comprehensive care solutions tailored to individual patient needs.
Working in collaboration with the attending physician, our interdisciplinary team helps maximize each patient’s respiratory potential, thereby improving their quality of life. Our goal is to help pulmonary patients control symptoms, maximize comfort, and provide reassurance to lessen fear and anxiety. Pulmonologists and attending physicians work in synergy with the hospice team, patient, and family to provide active medical management. The team also provides vital support and resources to help ease the stress associated with advanced illness. Our team is available on-call to assist patients 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Program benefits include:
- Advanced Care Planning - Patients and families are prepared and have peace of mind.
- Active Medical Management - Patients continue to receive appropriate medical treatment(s).
- Availability - Patients and families have access to 24-hour on call nursing support.
- Family Education and Instruction - Educational support increases the patient’s ability to cope with illness and moderates family concerns.
- Ongoing Physician Office Visits - Physicians remain involved with the plan of care and continue to bill for services.
Primary care physicians, pulmonologists and/or other specialists can help families determine when the time is right to seek extra support in caring for a loved one with advanced lung disease. Early referral to the Pulmonary Special Care Program provides needed support to patients and caregivers, enhancing the quality of life for everyone involved. Working hand-in-hand with a patient’s physician, the Pulmonary Special Care Program is able to provide consistent care to patients with advanced lung disease.
[ top ]