Support Groups & Programs
Support for Patients and Families
As an advocate for patients with renal failure and those who support them, the Renal and Pancreas Transplant Division offer an extensive outreach program. Designed to meet a variety of specific needs, these groups provide ongoing education, counseling and support for patients of every age. This is a free public service. Please call in advance to confirm the schedule and your attendance.
- Parents' Night Out
- Pre-Transplant Education Seminars
Parents' Night Out
This group is designed to facilitate adjustment to chronic renal disease for parents of young children (7 years and under) who are on dialysis or are pre-/post-kidney transplant. Facilitated by a clinical nurse specialist and licensed clinical social worker, this group focuses on the feelings, concerns and unique problems of this population and attempts to provide resolutions from those who have experienced similar issues. As dinner is provided, reservations are required. Quarterly meetings are planned in the Saint Barnabas Transplant Program conference room, Suite 303, East Wing. Free. For further information and to make reservations, call 973-322-2249.
Pre-transplant Education Seminars
For current schedules, please call Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston at 973-322-5938.
The following organizations and associated web sites provide general information, frequently asked questions and patient testimonials about kidney transplantation:
- optn.transplant.hrsa.gov – The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN): The unified transplant network established by the United States Congress under the National Organ Transplant Act (NOTA) of 1984
- www.unos.org –United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS): The organization contracted to administer the OPTN. UNOS has also developed a website specifically for patients and families at www.transplantliving.org
- www.njsharingnetwork.org – The Sharing Network: The non-profit, federally certified organ procurement organization (OPO) An OPO is a program that acquires and coordinates placement of donated organs for patients on national transplant waiting lists.
- www.kidneyfund.org – American Kidney Fund (AKF)
- www.a-s-t.org – American Society of Transplantation
- www.kidney.org – National Kidney Foundation
[ top ]