Toms River, NJ – May 31, 2011 – The Central and South Jersey Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded a $39,612 grant to Community Medical Center to provide mammographies to 200 women in Ocean County women who are uninsured and may not be able to pay for the test. This unique program was developed to help reduce barriers to obtaining mammographies. Patients simply need to obtain a prescription for the test from their health care provider and call (732) 341-1400 to enroll in this program.
At Community Medical Center, the grant from Komen for the Cure will support Screen for Life an initiative to provide additional assistance to those women who may not be able to afford mammography screenings. The program will involve partnerships with local health care providers to include physicians as well as clinics and health departments in Ocean County to navigate those who need assistance.
For the past twelve years, Community Medical Center has been privileged to be the lead agency for various cancer screening grants. “Over the past two years, our program has seen a significant increase in people needing assistance for mammography screenings,” according to Richard Pallamary, Vice President, “We have worked hard to educate the public on the importance of obtaining screenings, but the challenge today is that due to many economic situations. People do not have insurance or funds to pay for this very important screening. We are extremely fortunate for this grant to provide mammography screenings for 200 women.”
Key community programs like Screen for Life receive funding from events that Komen Central and South Jersey Affiliate holds throughout the year including the Susan G. Komen Central and South Jersey Race for the Cure® scheduled for Sunday, October 2, 2011, at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ. Nearly twenty thousand participants will participate in what has grown into the largest 5K race in New Jersey.
“At the Komen Central and South Jersey Affiliate, we conducted a needs assessment of our service area,” said Komen Affiliate Executive Director Nancy Healey. “This grant supports our strategic objective to ensure that medically underserved women have access to life-saving mammography screening.”
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Central and South Jersey Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Central and South Jersey Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, the Central and South Jersey Affiliate has invested $20 million in community breast cancer programs in its 13-county service area. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in central and southern New Jersey. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information,
call 609-896-1201 or visit www.komencsnj.org
Jean M Flaherty
Community Medical Center
99 Highway 37 West
Toms River,, NJ 08755
[ top ]