January 18, 2013, Toms River, NJ - Community Medical Center, a Barnabas Health facility, has earned the HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence for the ninth consecutive year, ranking it among the top 5 percent of hospital nationwide.
Only six New Jersey hospitals were ranked among the nation’s best when it comes to risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates for common procedures and conditions involving Medicare patients. The survey was conducted by HealthGrades, a healthcare quality reporting group. Only 262 hospitals in the nation made the list.
Hospitals ranked in the top 5 percent showed mortality rates far lower than their peers. HealthGrades estimated that if the other 95 percent of hospitals had performed as well, more than 164,000 Medicare patients might not have died.
Stephanie L. Bloom, FACHE, president and chief executive officer, Community Medical Center said, “This award truly speaks to the culture of quality that exists at Community Medical Center. To be among the top five percent of hospitals in the nation, for nine years in a row, is a testament to our ongoing commitment to provide the highest quality care to the patients we serve.” She added, “It is only through teamwork and the dedication of our Medical Staff, nurses and staff that Community Medical Center has been recognized with this national honor.”
Common inpatient conditions and procedures were surveyed, including abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, coronary angioplasty and stenting, sepsis, bowel obstruction, pneumonia, and neurosurgery.
Community Medical Center is the sixth largest hospital in New Jersey and the largest non-teaching hospital in the state.
CONTACT: Jean M. Flaherty
[ top ]