Pre-transplant Education Seminars
For current schedules, please call: Newark Beth Israel Medical Center at (973) 926-7555 and Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston at (973) 322-5938.
The following organizations and associated web sites provide general information, frequently asked questions and patient testimonials about kidney transplantation:
- www.optn.org – The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN): The unified transplant network established by the United States Congress under the National Organ Transplant Act (NOTA) of 1984
- www.unos.org –United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS): The organization contracted to administer the OPTN. UNOS has also developed a website specifically for patients and families at www.transplantliving.org
- www.sharenj.org – The Sharing Network: The non-profit, federally certified organ procurement organization (OPO) An OPO is a program that acquires and coordinates placement of donated organs for patients on national transplant waiting lists.
- www.kidneyfund.org – American Kidney Fund (AKF)
- www.a-s-t.org – American Society of Transplantation
- www.kidney.org – National Kidney Foundation
Transplant Recipient/Family Support Group
Meets monthly, alternating afternoon and evening meetings. Founded on the basis that ongoing support and education are vital to successful recovery and adaptation to life after transplant. Meetings generally take place in The Martin G. Jacobs Transplant Institute conference room, located on the third floor of the East Wing at Saint Barnabas Medical Center. For the date of the next meeting or to make a reservation, please call Marcia Krupit, M.S.W., Saint Barnabas Medical Center, at (973) 322-8461. For information concerning meetings at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, please call