Infectious Disease Collaborative
The Infectious Disease Collaborative is responsible for promoting the judicious
use of antimicrobials by providing evidence-based antimicrobial stewardship
recommendations. The recommendations pertain to all aspects of antimicrobials
including agent selection, dose, route of administration and duration
in order to optimize patient outcomes and aid in the reduction of antimicrobial
resistance. The collaborative supports the system-wide pharmacy goals
and also enhances the efforts of the individual, local antimicrobial stewardship
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Subcommittee shall meet quarterly or as
otherwise deemed necessary by the Chair.
- Serves as infectious diseases pharmacotherapy subject matter experts for
all anti-infective classes including antibiotics, antifungals, and antivirals
based upon current scientific literature.
- Develops strategies to ensure full compliance with all CDC, CMS, and The
Joint Commission requirements surrounding antimicrobial stewardship.
- Reviews and discusses antimicrobials for system-wide formulary considerations.
- Utilizes pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamics principles to formulate recommendations
which optimize antimicrobial dosing while minimizing medication incidents.
- Contributes drug expertise to system-wide quality improvement initiatives
including the Surgical Site Infection Working Group.
- Reviews appropriateness of antimicrobials included in computerized physician
order entry system's ordersets and powerplans.
- Collaborates with microbiology experts to enhance antimicrobial susceptibility
- Creates educational materials regarding antimicrobial resistance and antimicrobial
- Standardizes processes of clinical pharmacist antimicrobial stewardship
- Facilitates design, execution and study of antimicrobial stewardship quality
Pamela Giordano, PharmD, BCPS (Chair)
Infectious Diseases Specialist at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center &
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice Fairleigh Dickinson
University School of Pharmacy
Luigi Brunetti, PharmD, MPH, BCPS, CGP
Clinical Pharmacist at RWJ - University Hospital at Somerset and Clinical
Associate Professor Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State
University of New Jersey
Henry Leach, PharmD
Clinical Coordinator at Behavioral Health
Kathryn Mitchell, PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP
Infectious Disease Specialist at Clara Maass Medical Center
Navaneeth Narayanan, PharmD
Infectious Disease Specialist at RWJ- University Hospital at New Brunswick
& Clinical Assistant Professor Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers,
The State University of New Jersey
Fay Salek, PharmD, PhD
Clinical Coordinator at RWJ University Hospital at Rahway
Monica Shah, PharmD
Infectious Disease Specialist at Monmouth Medical Center
Steven Smoke, PharmD, BCPS
Clinical Pharmacist, Antimicrobial Stewardship at Jersey City Medical Center
Kristine Sobolewski, PharmD
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist at Saint Barnabas Medical Center
Jesse B. Sullivan, PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist - Critical Care at Community Medical Center
& Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice Fairleigh Dickinson
University School of Pharmacy