The Living Donor Institute
Kidney Donation Options
The crisis in renal transplantation continues to grow as the number of
patients on the waiting list exceeds the number of available organs. In
response, the world-class Renal and Pancreas Transplant Division has created
New Jersey’s first and only Living Donor Institute. The Institute
is designed to promote living donation as the best transplant option for
patients with chronic kidney disease who are either on or approaching dialysis.
Through the Institute, our team of surgeons, transplant physicians, nurse
coordinators, dieticians, social workers and pharmacists is able to forge
new opportunities for people who want to donate a healthy kidney to someone
in need of a transplant.
The Living Donor Institute provides the following:
- An experienced team
- Surgical innovation - advanced minimally invasive surgical techniques that
reduce pain and complications for kidney donors
- Coordination of the screening process for donors who reside out-of-state
or out of the country
Live From--Kidney Transplant, in collaboration with the Liberty Science Center and The Sharing Network
of New Jersey, introduces students to the world of kidney transplant through
live, real-time telecast.
- Research aimed at furthering living donation as the best option for patients
with chronic kidney disease
Expanding Living Donation Options
Kidney transplantation is an option available to patients with chronic
kidney disease (CKD) who are either on or approaching dialysis. Kidneys
can come from deceased donors or living donors. Finding the right donor
is important in order to maximize the survival of the new kidney.
The Transplant Division offers a comprehensive kidney transplant program
which includes an increasing number of innovative living donation techniques
available at only a few of the world’s leading transplant centers.
Many of these options present opportunity for those whose medical conditions
previously prevented transplantation.
Transplant candidates meet team members, talk with transplant recipients,
and learn about kidney transplantation at small informal education sessions.
Blending the most modern technology and resources with attentive personalized
care, the Living Donor Institute provides comprehensive support for patient
and their families throughout the process of obtaining a transplant and
maintaining a healthy organ.
Living Donation Options include:
- Living Related Donor Transplantation
- Emotionally-Related Donor Transplantation
- Living Donor Kidney Exchange Program (patients who have a willing living
donor that is not compatible to them)
- Altruistic Living Donation
- Compatible Share Program
- Program for Incompatible Transplants (ABO and HLA incompatible donor/recipient pairs)
Benefits of Living Donation
- Recipients receive an enhanced quality of life immediately after receiving
a live donor kidney transplant.
- A live donor kidney can last about twice as long, on average, as a deceased
- A willing donor receives tremendous emotional benefit by fulfilling their
wish to donate.
- The gift of a live donor kidney allows the recipient to come off the transplant
waiting list thereby allowing someone else to receive a deceased donor kidney.
Our Renal and Pancreas Transplant Division is one of the largest programs
in the country. Our patient and transplant survival rates are better than
or consistent with national averages.